Friday, January 4, 2008

Cape Town; The vacation that you wish to never end.

That title is valid when you do have a lot of money to afford all of Cape Town can offer to you. Some said ‘Money can’t buy happiness’ but it surely can bring joy in Cape Town. At the colonial era this harbor town is used to be a storehouse or stop by of the Dutch East India Company before goes to Far East (Indonesia). They controlled all of their East colonials’ area from Batavia, and in 1652 the company established the first European settlement in South Africa on the Cape of Good Hope. Brilliant, they pick a very astonishing spot. This town is on the middle of surrounding mountain and seashore, just like a bowl. Perfect terrain for defensive combating, superb region for viewing, relaxing and enjoying yourself.


The first day I get here, one of my colleague on the Indonesian consulate very nicely pick me up from the airport and take me to the Table Mountain, but before that I surely had to say hello to the Consulate, so they take me to Indonesian Residence. And to go to Table Mountain you have to be really lucky if you just got only few days in Cape Town, because this one of the must seen tourist destinations is not always open to visit. When the weather is not fine, then they will shut the road to the peak. I’m lucky, and I have my chance to experience the marvelous view of the town from the Mountain, and take a ride with Cableway (similar like ‘Kereta Gantung’ in Jakarta, but bigger and it rotate) to the top of that rocky mountain. Before went the lodge to get rest, I have a chance to go to one of the mall in town that near the shore, Waterfront.

The next day, by using the service of local driver (and he used Global Positioning System –Man, that’s cool) first stop of the day was Boulders Beach. Here, I can see African Penguin, so cute and they doesn’t afraid of us, even they seems to enjoying also to be able to see human crowd.


(picture: at the center back
male penguin : Hey honey, look at the man with red shirt, is he handsome?
female penguin : Hmm..i prefer the 25th years old with blue stripes shirt!
male penguin : What?! How do you know he is 25th?
female penguin : Ups..ok hun…let me give you my kiss!!
both penguins : Cup….)


Next Stop was the Cape Point, The Cape of Good Hope, if you want to walk to the peak tower it’s about 1,5 hours return. But I take the train to the top, its only 35 rand (US$ 6), at the peak I can see exactly where the two Oceans meet, Atlantic Ocean on my right and the Indian Ocean on my left. They said, if you have hopes, and you wish it here, then all will be come true. But my girl said, “no hun its musyrik”. She was right, this whole universe is belong to the Almighty, wherever and whenever you wish, whatever it is if God approved of then all will come true. At this peak, there was also a direction sign, how far is New York, New Delhi, Berlin, and other big town in the world. Stunning view, I just look at as far as I can, no boundaries, no limits, Thank You God for giving me the chance of living.


Next was Houd Bay. But just before reaching it, on the Chapman’s Peak Road, there was some baboons. Don’t feed them, otherwise they will encircle your car. At one part of Houd Bay you will find series of cannon, pointing directly to the sea, those were old cannon for town defenses. Not far from there, a restaurant appeared, it’s called ‘Fish on The Rock’, I order a shrimp, calamari, fish and chips, complete (you’ll never find this much and tasty food in Harare).


Next day was a historical journey, the main destination is ‘Kampung Makasar’, but before went there because that day was sunday, flea market were open, and its called Green Point. To make the contrast of it after flea market, they take me to Van Gate Mall. This mall is unique because most of the visitor was Moslem, and the population of Moslem in Cape Town is quite a lot. And maybe this was because Syeikh Yusuf, one of the National Hero of South Africa (I barely just found out either). He went to Cape Town in 1694 because the Dutch isolation along with 49 of his family and followers. Here he spread out and teach Islam, he build the Maccasar, and become the symbol of struggle to against apartheid. I happened to have an opportunity to pray at the Mosque that build by Indonesian Government closed to Syeikh Yusuf tomb. After that historical attached place, next tourist spot was Spier. A garden where you can see Cheetah (and you can also take picture with that predators), Eagle and small lake to hang around. Oom Sami was next stop before went to the biggest shopping mall in Town, Canal Walk. Oom Sami was a souvenir shop with oldies decoration, but the prices there was too expensive for me. Near Canal Walk, there you will also seen Ratangga, some kind of Disneyland or Fantasi World, and indeed this mall was so huge, but nothing exceptional when you came from ‘mall town’ like Jakarta.


To be continued….

No comments: